History and Building
For over 175 years there have been people in and around Dubuque who have called St. John’s their spiritual home. Founded by the famous missionary, Bishop Jackson Kemper, and a group of pioneers the first services were held in private homes, the courthouse, and even a saloon!
The current church building was constructed from 1875-1878.
The church, which regularly receives admiring comments, is a noted example of High Victorian Gothic style and was designed by the noted architect, Henry M. Congdon.
The church features several Tiffany and La Farge stain glass windows. Our organ is a historic Hooks and Hastings instrument, first installed in 1882.